Sam Bankman-Fried's Emergent Fidelity Technologies Files for Bankruptcy

1 min

Sam Bankman-Fried's Emergent Fidelity Technologies Files for Bankruptcy

Emergent is owner of 56 Million shares of online brokerage Robinhood.

Emergent Fidelity Technologies, a company co- established by FTX Trading Ltd founder Sam Bankman-Fried and previous executive Gary Wang, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection late Friday.

Emergent Fidelity was the company which held 56 Million shares of Robinhood Markets (HOOD) stock, an investment that quickly became a subject of key interest between plenty of corporations for the value it  can potentially attract FTX Trading Ltd creditors. The shares were likewise pledged as collateral to bankrupt cryptocurrency lender BlockFi, which placed its own claim last year.

Bankman-Fried has argued he should retain control of the shares. Nevertheless, federal officials moved to seize control of the assets in January.

Those 56 Million shares of Robinhood are worth greater than $600 Million at today’s closing price. Bloomberg informed the only other investment owned by Emergent Fidelity was $20.7 Million in cash.

Bankman-Fried is the owner of 90 percent of Emergent Fidelity, and with FTX Trading Ltd co- founder Wang owning the remaining 10%.

Emergent Fidelity’s bankruptcy filing could not instantly be obtained. It is not clear what debts Emergent is claiming at this time.

Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of cryptocurrency, blockchain tech and Web 3.0. Head to to register and buy your pass now.


Read Disclaimer
This page is simply meant to provide information. It does not constitute a direct offer to purchase or sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a suggestion or endorsement of any goods, services, or businesses. does not offer accounting, tax, or legal advice. When using or relying on any of the products, services, or content described in this article, neither the firm nor the author is liable, directly or indirectly, for any harm or loss that may result. Read more at Important Disclaimers and at Risk Disclaimers.